By Rachel Buck (@GBRachel)
GREEN BAY, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) – The Green Bay women’s basketball team plays its final exhibition game of the season as it welcomes Northern Michigan to the Kress Center on Saturday at 1 p.m.
LISTEN LIVE: Fans can listen live to the game on Green Bay's new radio partner, WNFL 1440 AM. The live audio with Bruce VandenPlas on the call will also be available for free via GreenBayPhoenix.com or on the Green Bay Phoenix App on IOS and Android devices.
Live stats will also be available for the game.
Green Bay topped St. Cloud State, 74-63, last Saturday in exhibition action. Eight of the nine players that took to the court for the Phoenix scored at least one point, led by double-doubles for Breannah Ranger (Skokie, Ill.) and Megan Lukan (Barrie, Ontario). Ranger finished the game with 21 points and 10 rebounds while Lukan added 13 points, a game-high 13 rebounds and eight steals.
Earlier this week the Phoenix was picked as the Horizon League preseason favorite for the sixth-consecutive season, earning 21 of 26 first place votes and 225 total points. In the preseason USA Today Coaches Poll released on Friday, Green Bay was receiving votes.
1. Atop the Poll: For the sixth-consecutive season, the Phoenix was selected as the Horizon League preseason favorite. Green Bay earned 21 of the possible 26 first place votes and 225 total points. Wright State came in second with one first-place vote and 189 points, while Youngstown State placed third with 165 points. UIC received three first-place votes and 146 points and was followed by Milwaukee (136), Detroit (1 first place vote, 99), Cleveland State (97), Oakland (73) and Valparaiso (40) in the voting.
2. Early Recognition: Individually, the Phoenix had two players named to the preseason all-league teams. Junior Megan Lukan was selected to the first team, and senior Breannah Ranger was tabbed to the second team. It is the first preseason honor for both.
3. Double Billing: Both the Green Bay women’s and men’s programs were picked as the preseason favorite this fall. It is the first time a Horizon League school had both its women’s and men’s teams atop the poll since Detroit did it in 1999-2000.
4. National Recognition: The Phoenix received votes in the preseason USA Today Coaches Poll released on November 1, tallying 18 points. Green Bay ended last season ranked 24th in the poll.
5. Home Sweet Home: Green Bay will face Northern Michigan in its final exhibition match of the season on Saturday before opening the season on November 8 against Northern Illinois. It will be the first time in 26 seasons the Phoenix opens its regular season slate in Green Bay.
Division II Northern Michigan is a member of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and finished sixth in the North Division of the conference a season ago after going 13-14 overall and 10-12 in the GLIAC.
The Wildcats return their top five starters from a season ago, led by Alyssa Colla (12.9 ppg) and Lauren Gruber (11.6 ppg). Leading rebounders Nea Makela (6.0 rpg) and Abbey DeBruin (4.6 rpg) also return to the court this year.
For the latest and most up-to-date information on Green Bay Athletics, please visit GreenBayPhoenix.com.
Follow us on Twitter: @GBPhoenix , @GBPhoenixWBB and @GBRachel.
Like Green Bay Women’s Basketball and Green Bay Phoenix Athletics on Facebook.