Green Bay Men's Tennis Falls to No. 55 Wisconsin, 5-2
MADISON, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) – Appearing in its final non-conference match of the season, the Green Bay men’s tennis team battled with in-state rival Wisconsin on Saturday afternoon, falling 5-2 to the No. 55-ranked Badgers at Nielsen Indoor Stadium.
The Phoenix was seeking its second-consecutive win over UW dating back to last season, including its first win again a ranked-opponent in program history.
Green Bay’s all-freshman pairing of Miles McDowall and Matej Kostadinov opened play with a win at No. 3 doubles, 6-3; however, Wisconsin was victorious at both the No. 1 (6-4) and No. 2 (6-3) spots to earn the doubles point and take a 1-0 advantage.
Unfortunately things did not go the Phoenix’s way in singles either, as the Badgers picked up a trio of wins by its sophomores to clinch the match.
UW’s Chema Carranza finished first with a 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles over Charlie Ridout. Then at No. 1 singles, Green Bay senior Leo Gomez Islinger fell a 6-4, 6-0, decision to another second-year player, Josef Dodridge, before Joshua Schramm lost at No. 3 to Lamar Remy, 6-2, 6-2.
With the match already decided, the Phoenix seized two of the remaining three victories, as senior Howard Scott defeated Alexander Kokorev, 6-2, 0-6, 6-3, at No. 2, and another senior, Joey Leto, beat Jakhongir Jalalov, 3-6, 7-6, 10-7, at No. 6.
Florian Kraenzler finished by dropping a 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 result at No. 3 to Osgar O’Hoisin.
The Green Bay men won’t return to the court again until Sunday, March 27, when it welcomes in the Detroit Titans for its Horizon League home-opener. The match will begin at approximately 10:00 a.m. from Western Racquet & Fitness Club.
1. Josef Dodridge (UW) def. Leo Gomez Islinger (UWGB), 6-4, 6-0
2. Howard Scott (UWGB) def. Alexander Kokorev (UW), 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
3. Lamar Remy (UW) def. Joshua Schramm (UWGB), 6-2, 6-2
4. Osgar O’Hoisin (UW) def. Florian Kraenzler (UWGB), 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
5. Chema Carranza (UW) def. Charlie Ridout (UWGB), 6-3, 6-0
6. Joey Leto (UWGB) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (UW), 3-6, 7-6, 10-7
1. Dodridge/Remy (UW) def. Gomez-Islinger/Kraenzler (UWGB), 6-4
2. Carranza/Jalalov (UW) def. Leto/Scott (UWGB), 6-3
3. Kostadinov/McDowall (UWGB) def. Kokorev/O’Hoisin (UW), 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (5, 1, 3, 2, 6, 4)
For the latest and most up-to-date information on Green Bay Athletics, please visit GreenBayPhoenix.com.