Interaction with Prospects - Recruiting
- Faculty members can assist the coaching staff in the recruiting process by notifying them of any prospect he or she thinks would be a strong addition to the university and athletics programs. Faculty may send any UW Green Bay Coaching staff member any newspaper clippings, web site links, or other information about prospects which they think would be of interest. The coach then can make the appropriate contact. Faculty members should NOT contact a prospect's coach in an attempt to evaluate the prospect or visit with any coach or family member.
- Faculty members are permitted to view a prospect's athletic contest on his or her own initiative, provided that he or she does not contact the prospect or the parents or legal guardians.
- An "unavoidable incidental contact" between a faculty member and a prospect (or his or her parents, legal guardians or relatives) off-campus is permissible if the contact is not prearranged, does not take place on the grounds of the prospect's educational institution or at the site of organized competition or practice involving the prospect's team (i.e., high school, preparatory school, two-year college or all-star team). Exception - "contacts" initiated by a student-athlete at any location is permissible provided the encounter was prearranged and is limited to an exchange of greetings.
- A faculty member may also have an on-campus contact with a prospect and/or his or her parents/legal guardians during either an "official visit" or an "unofficial visit" to the campus. These contacts, if for academic purposes, may be arranged by an athletics department staff member.
- A faculty member may also have contact with a prospect if he or she is an established family friend or neighbor. Such contacts may not be made for recruiting purposes and shall not be initiated by the coaching staff member.
- A faculty member may have a phone conversation with a prospect only if the prospect initiates the call and it is not for recruiting purposes. Academic advisors may make and receive calls related to admission and academic issues. Such a call may not be arranged by institutional staff member. The faculty member must refer any questions about the university's athletic program to the proper athletics department staff.
ALWAYS ASK BEFORE YOU ACT!