11th Annual Phoenix-Packers Steak Fry Recap
GREEN BAY, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - Unfazed by the area's snowfall, more than 650 fans of the Green Bay Phoenix and Green Bay Packers were in attendance last Tuesday, April 19 for the 11th annual Phoenix-Packers Steak Fry at Lambeau Field.
The joint venture between Green Bay's legendary teams was a successful night once again, with a record high of over $70,000 raised for student-athlete scholarships for Green Bay Athletics.
WBAY's Chris Roth served as the emcee for the night while WBAY's Bill Jartz was the auctioneer and helped raise over $23,000 with the auctions. The live auction alone, with items including a Packers gameday package, a golf getaway to Door County, a trip to the men's basketball game at Virginia and two private dinners with men's basketball head coach Brian Wardle, brought in over $5,000 more than last year.UW-Green Bay Chancellor Dr. Thomas Harden, Director of Athletics Ken Bothof and Wardle all spoke at the event, which was attended by Packers' Chairman Emeritus Bob Harlan and General Manager Ted Thompson along with numerous members of the franchise's coaching staff.
As he did at his first steak fry as head coach in 2010, Wardle shared a top-10 list during his speech, with this year's topic being "Top-10 Things I Learned in My First Year as a Head Coach":
Don't be offended when the referees still treat you like an assistant or even
worse still think you are an assistant.
9. Don't listen to Coach Race when he says shoot 30 threes a game, dribble more and play more zone.
8. Try to get the Super Bowl moved to December for Phoenix attendance reasons.
7. Go to women's games to find 6-foot-8 shot blockers to transfer to play for us.
6. Losing to the national runner-up twice in the last 30 seconds must mean we are a Final Four caliber team.
5. You have no say in Horizon League meetings unless your name is Brad.
4. Recruit more 7-foot-1 kids that can run, jump and shoot.
3. Don't bring your daughters on a road trip because they COULD get sick, they COULD not sleep, you COULD lose and then they COULD cry for three-straight hours on the trip back.
2. Tell the man guarding the ball at the end of the game not to let the other team dunk it.
1. You are supposed to win more games than you lose.