Green Bay Rolls Past Bradley, Falls Narrowly at Wisconsin
PEORIA, Ill. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's tennis team split a pair of road matches over the weekend, first rolling past Bradley (6-6) 4-0 on Friday, and then dropping a tough 4-3 decision at No. 70 Wisconsin (8-2) on Saturday. The Phoenix record moves to 8-5 on the year with the split.
Sophomore Michael Tenzer (Neuried, Germany) went 2-0 at the top singles spot for Green Bay, beating Bradley's Hamish Weerasinghe 6-1, 6-1 before downing Wisconsin's Billy Bertha 6-3, 6-1 the following day. Tenzer also teamed up with freshman Joey Leto (Downers Grove, Ill.) for a pair of doubles wins. The duo earned an exciting 9-8 (10) victory at No. 3 to secure the doubles point against Bradley, and then grabbed an 8-5 win on Saturday against the Badgers' tandem of Jakhongir Jalalov and Oskar Wikberg.
Also earning singles wins in the sweep of Bradley were Craig Cox (Surrey, England) at No. 3 and Rowan Isaaks (London, England) at No. 6. Cox and Erik Finkenbrink (Duelmen, Germany) added singles victories against Wisconsin, but the Badgers took three singles matches of their own and grabbed the doubles point for the 4-3 win.
Green Bay next heads south for a trio of spring break matches in Florida. The Phoenix first faces Kennesaw State in DeLand, Fla., on Sunday, March 17, then heads to Boca Raton for a meeting with Florida Atlantic the following day. Green Bay finally wraps up the trip on March 20 against No. 72 Stetson back in DeLand.
Green Bay 4,
1. Michael Tenzer (GB) def. Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BU) vs. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) unfinished
3. Craig Cox (GB) def. Arthur Romanet (BU) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
4. Ahmed Albitar (BU) vs. Leopold Gomez Islinger (GB) unfinished
5. Ashton Kalhorn (BU) vs. Howard Scott (GB) unfinished
6. Rowan Isaaks (GB) def. Justin Abrams (BU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Craig Cox/Erik Finkenbrink (GB) def. Ahmed Albitar/Ashton Kalhorn (BU) 8-4
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado/Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Howard Scott/Michael Tebon (GB) 8-5
3. Joey Leto/Michael Tenzer (GB) def. Justin Abrams/Arthur Romanet (BU) 9-8 (10)
#70 Wisconsin 4, Green Bay 3
1. Michael Tenzer (GB) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-3, 6-1
2. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (10-8)
3. Craig Cox (GB) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Leo Gomez Islinger (GB) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Howard Scott (GB) 6-4, 6-2
6. Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Rowan Isaaks (GB) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
1. Billy Bertha/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Craig Cox/Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 8-6
2. Alexander Kokorev/Petr Satral (WIS) def. Howard Scott/Michael Tebon (GB) 8-4
3. Joey Leto/Michael Tenzer (GB) def. Jakhongir Jalalov/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) 8-5
For the latest and most up-to-date information on Green
Bay Athletics and Green Bay Men's Tennis, please visit GreenBayPhoenix.com.
Follow us on Twitter: @GBPhoenix @GBPhoenixMTEN and @RyanHartwig
Like Green Bay Phoenix Athletics and Green Bay Phoenix Men's Tennis on Facebook.