GREEN BAY, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's tennis team concluded its regular season on Sunday by defeating St. Norbert College and UW-Whitewater, both by 7-0 decisions, at Western Racquet and Fitness. The Phoenix has now won six of its last seven matches to finish its schedule with a 15-7 record (6-1 Horizon League).
In the morning meeting with St. Norbert, Green Bay dominated the doubles action and then cruised to straight set victories in each of the six singles matches for the 7-0 win. The Phoenix then took two of three doubles matches against Whitewater before sweeping the singles events.
"We started a little slow in doubles today against Whitewater, but really picked up the intensity and showed great mental fortitude in our singles matches," Green Bay head coach Mark Thomas said. "As a team we are playing very well at the right time of the year heading into the Horizon League Tournament."
Seniors Mike Wesley (Franklin, Wis.) and Fabian Gogolin (Cologne, Germany) each earned dominating wins in the final home matches of their collegiate careers. Wesley picked up a 6-0, 6-0 victory over St. Norbert's Josh Sweere, while Gogolin won at No. 3 singles against St. Norbert's Matt Lobeck (6-0, 6-1) and at No. 5 against Whitewater's Ethan Niquet (6-2, 6-3).
Paul Swanson (Coon Rapids, Minn.) also had a strong day for the Phoenix, picking up a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles over St. Norbert's Derek Harrington, followed by a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 3 singles against Whitewater's Mitch Osborne.
Green Bay is back in action next week at the 2011 Horizon League Championships in Indianapolis (April 21-23). The Phoenix will be the No. 2 seed, earning a first round bye. Green Bay plays the winner of third-seeded Wright State and sixth-seeded Youngstown State on Friday at 9:30 a.m. CT.
To view the entire Horizon League Championship bracket, click here.
Green Bay 7, St. Norbert 0
1. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Derek Harrington (SNC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Christoph Hopfe (GB) def. Tim Hartwick (SNC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Fabian Gogolin (GB) def. Matt Lobeck (SNC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Henning Jess (GB) def. Nick Acosta (SNC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Mike Wesley (GB) def. Josh Sweere (SNC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Josh Oothoudt (GB) def. Danny Meicher (SNC) 6-0, 6-1
1. Hopfe/Gogolin (GB) def. Harrington/Acosta (SNC) 8-1
2. Cox/Finkenbrink (GB) def. Hartwick/Meicher (SNC) 8-2
3. Oothoudt/Wesley (GB) def. Sweere/Lobeck (SNC) 8-1
Green Bay 7, UW-Whitewater 0
1. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) def. Andrew Bayliss (UWW) 6-3, 6-1
2. Craig Cox (GB) def. Andy McGlashen (UWW) 6-3, 6-3
3. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Mitch Osborne (UWW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Christoph Hopfe (GB) def. #18 Byron Balkin (UWW) 6-2, 6-3
5. Fabian Gogolin (GB) def. Ethan Niquet (UWW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Henning Jess (GB) def. Erik Scanlan (UWW) 6-1, 7-6
1. Balkin/Osborne (UWW) def. Hopfe/Gogolin (GB) 8-6
2. Finkenbrink/Oothoudt (GB) def. Bayliss/Niquet (UWW) 9-7
3. Cox/Swanson (GB) def. Scanlan/Krieger (UWW) 8-6