PEORIA, Ill. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's tennis team competed in its final road contest of the regular season on Friday, defeating Bradley 5-2 in Peoria, Ill., at the Clubs at River City. The Phoenix swept the doubles matches and took four of the six singles matches in the win to improve to improve to 13-7.
"It was great to go on the road and earn a victory over a good Bradley team," Green Bay head coach Mark Thomas said. "All three doubles teams played great and we had some guys really step up in singles."
After winning the doubles point, the Phoenix won the No. 1, 2 and 3 singles matches, as well as the No. 6 match.
Craig Cox (Surrey, England) picked up a 6-4, 6-1 win in the top spot against Bradley's Juan Cuadrado, while Erik Finkenbrink (Duelman, Germany) earned a 6-2, 6-2 win in the No. 2 match against Hamish Weerasinghe. After splitting the first two sets in the No. 3 matchup, Paul Swanson (Coon Rapids, Minn.) earned a 6-2 win in the third set tiebreaker against Ashton Kalhorn to secure the victory (6-2, 3-6, 6-2).
Henning Jess (Kaltenkirchen, Germany) also earned a singles win for the Phoenix, defeating Kevin Keiner 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in the No. 6 spot.
Green Bay's final regular season contests are on Sunday, as St. Norbert and UW-Whitewater come to Western Racquet and Fitness for Senior Day.
Green Bay 5, Bradley 2
1. Craig Cox (GB) def. Juan Cuadrado (BU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) def. Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Ashton Kalhorn (BU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
4. Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Christoph Hopfe (GB) 4-6, 6-4, 12-10
5. Justin Abrams (BU) def. Fabian Gogolin (GB) 7-5, 7-5
6. Henning Jess (GB) def. Kevin Keiner (BU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
1. Hopfe/Gogolin (GB) def. Weerasinghe/Abrams (BU) 8-3
2. Finkenbrink/Josh Oothoudt (GB) def. Romanet/Kalhorn (BU) 8-4
3. Cox/Swanson (GB) def. Cuadrado/Keiner (BU) 8-3