MILWAUKEE, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's tennis team continued its three-match road trip on Sunday with a 6-1 loss to Marquette at Helfaer Tennis Stadium, dropping the Phoenix to 12-7 (6-1 Horizon League) on the season. The Golden Eagles improved to 13-9 and 8-1 on its home court with the win.
The match was much closer than the final score indicated, as four of Marquette's five singles victories included a tiebreaker.
Junior Paul Swanson (Coon Rapids, Minn.) took the first set of his No. 2 singles match against Dan Mamalat 7-5 before Mamalat rallied to win 6-0 in set two. Swanson led 3-0 in the third set tiebreaker, but Mamalat once again came back to secure the win with a 6-4 decision.
Christoph Hopfe (Castrop-Rauxel, Germany) also won his first set at No. 4, picking up a 6-4 win over Otavio Perim. Perim then rebounded with 6-2 and 6-4 victories to earn the win.
Sophomore Craig Cox (Surrey, England) earned the lone singles victory for the Phoenix, defeating Jose Manuel Munoz 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3.
The Golden Eagles swept all three doubles matches to start the day, picking up the doubles point.
Green Bay has a busy weekend coming up as it wraps up its regular season with a road match at Bradley on Friday and a home double-header against St. Norbert and UW-Whitewater on Sunday morning at Western Racquet and Fitness.
Marquette 6, Green Bay 1
1. Jose Carlos Crowley (MU) def. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Paul Swanson (GB) 5-7, 6-0, 6-4
3. Craig Cox (GB) def. Jose Manuel Munoz (MU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Otavio Perim (MU) def. Christoph Hopfe (GB) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Thibault Troude (MU) def. Fabian Gogolin (GB) 6-2, 6-4
6. Logan Collins (MU) def. Henning Jess (GB) 7-6, 6-4
1. Jose Manuel Munoz/Jonathan Schwerin (MU) def. Craig Cox/Fabian Gogolin (GB) 8-5
2. Dan Mamalat/Jose Carlos Crowley (MU) def. Josh Oothoudt/Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 8-4
3. Otavio Perim/Thibault Troude (MU) def. Christoph Hopfe/Henning Jess (GB) 8-3