Phoenix Picks Up Wins Over Butler, Wright State
GREEN BAY, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's tennis team earned a pair of wins against Horizon League opponents at home over the weekend, defeating Butler 6-1 on Saturday and Wright State 4-3 on Sunday at Western Racquet and Fitness. The Phoenix, which started its busy weekend by falling 6-1 to Toledo in Milwaukee on Friday, improves to 11-6 overall and 5-1 in conference play.
Green Bay bounced back quickly after its loss to the Rockets on Friday, getting off to a strong start against Butler the following day. The Phoenix took the doubles point and then won all but one of the singles matches to record the program's first ever win over the Bulldogs.
"Our guys came out energized and ready to battle on Saturday," Green Bay head coach Mark Thomas said. "Give credit to the guys for stepping up. It started with a strong performance in doubles and continued into singles play."
Christoph Hopfe (Castrop-Rauxel, Germany) and Henning Jess (Kaltenkirchen, Germany) were each two-time winners on Saturday, as the pair teamed up for a win at No. 3 doubles before winning their singles matches. Hopfe defeated Butler's Lenz Theodor in the No. 4 slot (6-4, 6-7, 10-6), while Jess earned a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Brad DiCarlo at No. 6 singles.
Green Bay found itself locked in a close battle with Wright State on Sunday, a day that started with the Phoenix earning the doubles point after three close matches. The Raiders took the No. 1 doubles competition, but Erik Finkenbrink (Duelman, Germany) and Josh Oothoudt (Minot, N.D.) combined for a 9-7 win at No. 2 and Craig Cox (Surrey, England) and Paul Swanson (Coon Rapids, Minn.) teamed up for an 8-6 win in the No. 3 spot.
The Phoenix then won three of the six singles matches to walk away with the 4-3 decision, with two of the three wins coming in third set tiebreakers.
"This was a great win for the Phoenix today," Thomas said. "Wright State played a very good match and fought us hard to the last point. The level of tennis in the Horizon League has improved each year, and for us to beat two teams (Wright State and Butler) that we lost to last year really shows the hard work and focus that our guys put in each day at practice."
After dropping the first set 6-4 in the No. 4 singles match against Landon Neuman, Hopfe rallied to take the second set 6-3 to even things up before locking up the win with a 6-3 decision in the tiebreaker. Fabian Gogolin (Cologne, Germany) also went to a tiebreaker in his match against WSU's Brian Dredge, fighting to earn a 6-2, 6-7, 7-5 victory.
With its 5-1 record in league play, the Phoenix is positioning itself for one of the top seeds and a first round bye in the 2011 Horizon League Championship.
After playing four of the last five at home, the Phoenix is set for three straight outside of Green Bay, starting with a match against Detroit this Friday in Milwaukee. The Phoenix then takes on Marquette the following day.
Toledo 6, Green Bay 1
1. Aleksandar Elezovic (TOL) def. Erik Finkenbrink (GB), 6-3, 6-2
2. Nutthavit Likitkumchorn (TOL) def. Craig Cox (GB), 6-4, 6-1
3. Sven Burus (TOL) def. Paul Swanson (GB), 6-4, 6-0
4. Leo Sarria (TOL) def. Christoph Hopfe (GB), 2-6, 6-3 (10-8)
5. Bryant Dudzik (TOL) def. Fabian Gogolin (GB), 4-6, 6-4 (10-7)
6. Josh Oothoudt (GB) def. Terence Weigand (TOL), 6-2, 3-6 (11-9)
1. Burus/Elezovic (TOL) def. Gogolin/Hopfe (GB), 8-3
2. Finkenbrink/Oothoudt (GB) def. Dimofte/Dudzik (TOL), 9-8 (7-5)
3. Likitkumchorn/Sarria (TOL) def. Cox/Swanson (GB), 8-5
Green Bay 6, Butler 1
1. Brandon Bayliss (BU) def. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 7-5, 6-4
2. Craig Cox (GB) def. Chris Herron (BU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Zach Ervin (BU) 7-6, 6-3
4. Christoph Hopfe (GB) def. Lenz Theodor (BU) 6-4, 6-7, 10-6
5. Fabian Gogolin (GB) def. David Dolins (BU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Henning Jess (GB) def. Brad DiCarlo (BU) 6-0, 6-4
1. Herron/Warren (BU) def. Cox/Gogolin (GB) 8-7
2. Finkenbrink/Oothoudt (GB) def. Bayliss/Theodor (BU) 8-4
3. Hopfe/Jess (GB) def. Ervin/Dolins (BU) 8-4
Green Bay 4, Wright State 3
1. Jan Alafriz (WSU) def. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 7-5, 6-2
2. Hayden Joblin (WSU) def. Craig Cox (GB) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6
3. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Martin Arguello (WSU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Christoph Hopfe (GB) def. Landon Neuman (WSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Fabian Gogolin (GB) def. Brian Dredge (WSU) 6-2, 6-7, 7-5
6. Michal Lyzwa (WSU) def. Henning Jess (GB) 7-6, 6-4