MILWAUKEE (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's tennis team capped off a busy weekend on Sunday with a 6-1 victory over Eastern Illinois in a neutral site contest played at Marquette University in Milwaukee. It was the third match in as many days for the Phoenix, which went 2-1 over the weekend, improving its overall record to 6-3.
"I am very proud of the way our team stepped up today to close out the weekend with a solid performance," Phoenix head coach Mark Thomas said. "We had a few players that were quite ill, so not everyone was playing at 100 percent which forced others to step into higher positions and I thought they played excellent."
Green Bay won all three doubles matches on Sunday to secure the doubles point, then went on to take five of the six singles contests for the victory.
Erik Finkenbrink (Duelman, Germany) was a two-time winner on Sunday, earning wins in both the No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles matches. The sophomore first teamed up with classmate Josh Oothoudt (Minot, N.D.) in the top doubles spot to defeat EIU's Matyas Hilgert and Jamie Firth 8-6. Finkenbrink then dominated his singles contest, earning a 6-1, 6-1 win over Michael Sperry.
Senior Fabian Gogolin (Cologne, Germany) and junior Henning Jess (Kaltenkirchen, Germany) paired up to win the No. 2 doubles match, beating Sperry and Charlie Dryden 8-5. Gogolin and Jess also won their singles contests, as Gogolin picked up a 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 victory over Warren Race at No. 3 and Jess cruised to a 6-0, 6-2 win over Volodymyr Zverkovsky in the No. 5 matchup.
Green Bay next heads to Madison for a contest with its in-state rivals from Wisconsin next Friday at 1 p.m.
Bay 6, Eastern Illinois 1
1. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) def. Michael Sperry (EIU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Matyas Hilgert (EIU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Fabian Gogolin (GB) def. Warren Race (EIU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Josh Oothoudt (GB) def. Charlie Dryden (EIU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Henning Jess (GB) def. Volodymyr Zverkovsky (EIU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Kevin Bauman (EIU) def. Mike Wesley (GB) 6-1, 6-3
1. Finkenbrink/Oothoudt (GB) def. Hilgert/Firth (EIU) 8-6
2. Gogolin/Jess (GB) def. Sperry/Dryden (EIU) 8-5
3. Wesley/Swanson (GB) def. Bauman/Davis (EIU) 8-4