Green Bay Defeats IPFW 7-0
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's tennis team won all six singles matches as well as the doubles point en route to a 7-0 victory over IPFW Friday night at the Pine Ridge Racquet and Fitness Club in Fort Wayne, Ind. With the win, the Phoenix men improve their record to 5-2.
The match was more competitive than the final score indicated, as the top two singles matches went to third set tiebreakers and the doubles point was earned with close wins in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots.
Sophomore Craig Cox (Surrey, England) and senior Fabian Gogolin (Cologne, Germany) teamed up for a win at No. 1 doubles, defeating IPFW's tandem of Francisco Sigaud and Roberto Cabrini 9-8(5). In the No. 2 doubles match, sophomores Erik Finkenbrink (Duelman, Germany) and Josh Oothoudt (Minot, N.D.) combined to take a 8-6 decision over Dqaniel Kang and Junya Saruta..
In singles action, the No. 1 and No. 2 matches went to third set tiebreakers with Green Bay's Finkenbrink and Paul Swanson (Coon Rapids, Minn.) prevailing. Finkenbrink lost the first set at No. 1 to Cabrini 2-6, but rebounded to take set two 7-6(4). The sophomore then took the tiebreaker 6-2. Swanson also lost the first set in his match, falling 6-7(9) in the opener to Sigaud, but turned around to win 6-2, 6-0.
Green Bay is next in action on Saturday, heading to West Lafayette, Ind., to face Purdue at 5 p.m.
Bay 7, IPFW 0
1. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) def. Roberto Cabrini (IPFW) 2-6, 7-6(4), 6-2
2. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Francisco Sigaud (IPFW) 6-7(9), 6-2, 6-0
3. Craig Cox (GB) def. Dean Guyer (IPFW) 6-4, 6-2
4. Christoph Hopfe (GB) def. Dqaniel Kang (IPFW) 6-2, 6-4
5. Fabian Gogolin (GB) def. Junya Saruta (IPFW) 6-4, 6-1
6. Josh Oothoudt (GB) def. Eduardo Sztrajtman (IPFW) 6-4, 6-0
1. Cox/Gogolin (GB) def. Sigaud/Cabrini (IPFW) 9-8(5)
2. Finkenbrink/Oothoudt (GB) def. Kang/Saruta (IPFW) 8-6
3. Guyer/Kanavos (IPFW) def. Hopfe/Wesley (GB) 8-5