Green Bay Knocks Off Detroit 5-2 on Friday
MILWAUKEE, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com)
The Green Bay men's tennis team wrapped up its Horizon League schedule
on Friday, picking up a 5-2 victory over Detroit at Marquette University
in Milwaukee. With the win, the Phoenix improves to 12-6 overall and
ends its conference slate with a 6-1 record.
Green Bay began the day by sweeping all three doubles matches, including a convincing 8-2 win at the No. 1 spot by sophomore Craig Cox (Surrey, England) and senior Fabian Gogolin (Cologne, Germany) over Detroit's Pablo Nunez and Alex Latosinsky.
"We came out ready to compete in doubles," Green Bay head coach
Mark Thomas said. "It was a great effort and execution top to bottom for our doubles teams."
In singles play, Green Bay used two come-from-behind efforts from Cox and Gogolin en route to the 5-2 result. After Cox fell 7-6 to Cesar Escobar Serrano in the first set of the No. 2 singles match, he rallied back to win 6-2 in the second before taking the third set tiebreaker 6-2. Gogolin dropped his first set (7-5) to Chris Cheung at No. 5, but rebounded to take the next two 7-5, 6-1.
"Detroit fought extremely hard in singles and challenged us," Thomas said. "In the end our guys stepped up to finish a strong conference season. We are looking forward to finishing up our non-conference schedule and being ready to compete for the conference championship in two weekends."
Green Bay continues the non-conference season on Sunday when it faces Marquette on its home court in Milwaukee at 1 p.m.
Green Bay 5, Detroit 2
1. Alex Latosinsky (DET) def. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
2. Craig Cox (GB) def. Cesar Escobar Serrano (DET) 6-7, 6-2, 6-2
3. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Nick Tolomei (DET) 6-4, 6-4
4. Pablo Nunez (DET) def. Christoph Hopfe (GB) 6-2, 6-4
5. Fabian Gogolin (GB) def. Chris Cheung (DET) 5-7, 7-5, 6-1
6. Josh Oothoudt (GB) def. David Stabley (DET) 6-4, 6-3
1. Cox/Gogolin (GB) def. Nunez/Latosinsky (DET) 8-2
2. Finkenbrink/Oothoudt (GB) def. Cheung/Serrano (DET) 8-6
3. Hopfe/Henning Jess (GB) def. Dean Butts/Stabley (DET) 8-3