Green Bay Drops 6-1 Decision at Purdue Saturday
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's tennis team fell 6-1 on the road Saturday night to Big Ten opponent Purdue at the Schwartz Tennis Center, moving its record to 5-3 on the season.
Sophomore Christoph Hopfe (Castrop-Rauxel, Germany) picked up the lone singles win for the Phoenix, fighting his way to a victory at the No. 4 spot over Purdue's Eric Ramos. The sophomore won the first set 7-5 before dropping set number two 2-6. Hopfe then prevailed in the third set tiebreaker 7-5 for the win.
Junior Paul Swanson (Coon Rapids, Minn.) took Purdue's Mark Kovacs to a third set tiebreak at No. 3 singles, winning the second set 6-2 after falling 6-1 in the opener. Kovacs then won the tiebreaker 6-3 to secure the 6-1, 2-6, 6-3 victory.
The Green Bay men's tennis squad returns to action Sunday at 3 p.m. against Eastern Illinois in Milwaukee on the campus of Marquette University.
6, Green Bay 1
1. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) def. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 6-4, 6-4
2. Krisztian Krocski (PUR) def. Craig Cox (GB) 6-4, 6-2
3. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Paul Swanson (GB) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
4. Christoph Hopfe (GB) def. Eric Ramos (PUR) 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
5. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Fabian Gogolin (GB) 7-6 (9-7), 6-3
6. Pawel Poziomski (PUR) def. Josh Oothoudt (GB) 7-6, 6-2
1. Tatarczyk/Kroscko (PUR) def. Cox/Gogolin (GB) 8-2
2. Finkenbrink/Oothoudt (GB) def. Kovacs/Ramos (PUR) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Poziomski/Dujovne (PUR) def. Hopfe/Wesley (GB) 8-4