Phoenix Men's Tennis Splits Road Matches
MUNICE, Ind. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's tennis team split a pair of road matches over the weekend, picking up a 7-0 victory over Dayton on Saturday before dropping a 4-3 decision at Ball State on Sunday afternoon. The Phoenix moves to 4-2 on the season with the split.
Green Bay was firing on all cylinders at Dayton on Saturday, cruising through all six singles matches after claiming the doubles point to start. Sophomore Erik Finkenbrink (Duelman, Germany) led the way at No. 1 singles, defeating Robert Salcedo 6-3, 6-0. At No. 2 singles, junior Paul Swanson (Coon Rapids, Minn.) beat the Flyers' Joe West 6-4, 6-2.
Senior Fabian Gogolin (Cologne, Germany) and sophomore Craig Cox (Surrey, England) were dual winners on Saturday, teaming up for an 8-1 victory in the No. 1 doubles slot before winning their individual matches. Gogolin defeated Alex Crum 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 5 spot, while Cox picked up a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles over Andrew Hanley.
Switching to Ball State men's tennis, the Phoenix had its four-match winning streak snapped by the Cardinals on Sunday in a close, hard-fought battle.
Green Bay fell behind early as Ball State claimed two of the three doubles matches. Finkenbrink and fellow sophomore Josh Oothoudt (Minot, N.D.) picked up the lone doubles win for the Phoenix, earning an 8-6 win over Dalton Albertin and Austin Smith in the No. 2 matchup.
In singles action, Swanson earned a win at No. 3, taking a 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 decision over Ball State's Alexandre Brym. Gogolin and junior Henning Jess (Kaltenkirchen, Germany) also earned victories in singles play for the Phoenix on Sunday, as Gogolin picked up a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 5 and Jess earned a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 victory in the No. 6 spot.
Green Bay is next in action on Friday, Feb. 25 when it travels to Fort Wayne, Ind. to take on IPFW at 7 p.m.
Bay 7, Dayton 0
1. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) def. Robert Salcedo (DAY) 6-3, 6-0
2. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Joe West (DAY) 6-4, 6-2
3. Craig Cox (GB) def. Andrew Hanley (DAY) 6-0, 6-2
4. Christoph Hopfe (GB) def. Ben Benalcazar (DAY) 6-0, 6-1
5. Fabian Gogolin (GB) def. Alex Crum (DAY) 6-2, 6-0
6. Henning Jess (GB) def. Sean Bandy (DAY) 6-1, 6-1
1. Cox/Gogolin (GB) def. Hanley/Benalcazar (DAY) 8-1
2. West/Salcedo (DAY) def. Finkenbrink/Oothoudt (GB) 8-7
3. Hopfe/Wesley (GB) def. Bandy/Crum (DAY) 8-3
State 4, Green Bay 3
1. Dalton Albertin (BSU) def. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 6-4, 6-1
2. Cliff Morrison (BSU) def. Craig Cox (GB) 6-4, 6-3
3. Paul Swanson (GB) def. Alexandre Brym (BSU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
4. Zane Smith (BSU) def. Christoph Hopfe (GB) 6-7 (10), 6-2, 6-2
5. Fabian Gogolin (GB) def. Austin Smith (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Henning Jess (GB) def. Derek Carpenter (BSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
1. Carpenter/Smith (BSU) def. Cox/Gogolin (GB) 9-8 (0)
2. Finkenbrink/Oothoudt (GB) def. Smith/Albertin (BSU) 8-6
3. Bussert/Sansone (BSU) def. Hopfe/Wesley (GB) 8-5