By: Jill Wunrow (@JillWunrow)
GREEN BAY, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - Green Bay women's basketball head coach Kevin Borseth has announced his first recruiting class Wednesday, Nov. 14, the National Letter of Intent signing day. In his second tenure leading the Phoenix, Borseth is pleased to add Tesha Buck (Red Wing, Minn.), Lexi Weitzer (Waukesha, Wis.) and Sam Terry (Baraboo, Wis.) to the Phoenix family.
"I'm very excited; it's good to get our players in the program," said Borseth. "We're excited for the opportunity to coach our current players while adding this class to the mix to find players that can support and help fill the void of those that graduate."
Tesha Buck, G, 5-11 - Red Wing High School:
- Buck is ranked 75th in the class of 2013 according to Blue Star Basketball, a top recruiting site which evaluates and rates high school players
- 72nd ranked in her position by 2013 ESPNU HoopGurlz basketball
- Buck verbally committed to Green Bay in Dec. 2011 and was also on the ESPNU HoopGurlz 100 Watch List for the 2013 class
- Helped lead one of the best club teams in the country, North Tartan 15U, to the championship game of Nike Junior Nationals in 2011
- Guided Red Wing to two consecutive state tournaments (2011, 2012)
- Red Wing's all-time leading scorer, amassing 1,000 points heading into her final prep season
- Minnesota Girl's Basketball Coaches Association 2012 All-State selection
- Associated Press Honorable Mention All-State in 2011 and 2012
Borseth's thoughts on Buck... "She sees the floor very well, passes well, shoots well and has a very high basketball IQ."
Sam Terry, F, 6-0 - Baraboo High School:
- Multi-faceted; can rebound, score on the blocks and shoot three pointers
- No. 2 ranked prospect in the state of Wisconsin in the class of 2013
- 2010 Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association First Team All-State selection and 2012 Honorable Mention despite missing half her junior season due to a knee injury
- Two-time First Team All-Conference selection (Badger North)
- Averaged 16 points and seven rebounds during sophomore season
- 2012 All-State Honorable Mention in volleyball
Borseth's thoughts on Terry... "She's very driven and a kid that is a coach's dream. She's a Green Bay kid that sells the farm on every play."
Lexi Weitzer, C, 6-3 - Waukesha South High School:
- Ranked in the top 200 class of 2013 recruits by Blue Star Basketball
- 43rd ranked in her position by 2013 ESPNU HoopGurlz basketball
- Two-time All-Conference Honorable mention (2011, 2012)
- Holds school record for most rebounds in a single game (21)
- On pace to set school rebounding record, currently in second, Weitzer needs 111 boards to accomplish the feat
Borseth's thoughts on Weitzer... "Lexi is a fantastic player with a lot of energy, skill, ability and makes her teammates better. She has size versatility, can handle the ball, defend a lot of people and shoot extremely well for a kid of that size. I'm very excited to have her."
Individual, full season ticket and Pick 5 packages are on sale now with the Green Bay Athletics Ticket Office. For more information and to order tickets, please call 920.465.2625 or visit the athletics department offices in the Kress Events Center.
For the latest and most up-to-date information on Green Bay Athletics, please visit GreenBayPhoenix.com.