Green Bay Edged 4-3 at No. 72 Stetson
DELAND, Fla. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) – After having Monday’s meeting with Florida Atlantic rained out, the Green Bay men’s tennis team returned to the courts in the Sunshine State on Wednesday against nationally-ranked Stetson at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center. The Phoenix (9-6) gave the No. 72 Hatters (11-1) all they could handle, but the home team prevailed with a 4-3 victory.
Stetson started by taking the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles contests to secure the doubles point, but Phoenix sophomore Michael Tenzer (Neuried, Germany) evened things up at 1-1 with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Laurynas Antropikas at No. 1 singles.
Freshman Howard Scott (Exeter, England) knotted the match once again at 2-2 with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Hans Adrian Reseng at No. 6 singles, but the Hatters closed out the No. 2 and No. 3 matches to secure the win. Also picking up a singles victory at No. 4 was freshman Leopold Gomez Islinger (Weiden, Germany).
Green Bay next returns to the Midwest for a contest with DePaul on Sunday at 3 p.m. in Chicago.
Stetson 4, Green Bay 3
1. Michael Tenzer (GB) def. Laurynas Antropikas (STET) 6-1, 6-3
2. Simon Julin (STET) def. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 6-3, 6-2
3. Cahit Kapukiran (STET) def. Craig Cox (GB) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Leopold Gomez Islinger (GB) def. Egor Panyushkin (STET) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Chester Espie (STET) def. Rowan Isaaks (GB) 6-2, 6-0
6. Howard Scott (GB) def. Hans Adrian Riseng (STET) 6-3, 6-3
1. Laurynas Antropikas/Hans Adrian Riseng (STET) vs. Erik Finkenbrink/Craig Cox (GB) 6-4, unfinished
2. Didrik Berg/Simon Julin (STET) def. Michael Tebon/Howard Scott (GB) 8-1
3. Nathan Debut/Cahit Kapukiran (STET) def. Michael Tenzer/Joey Leto (GB) 8-5
For the latest and most up-to-date information on Green Bay Athletics and Green Bay Men's Tennis, please visit GreenBayPhoenix.com.
Follow us on Twitter: @GBPhoenix @GBPhoenixMTEN and @RyanHartwig
Like Green Bay Phoenix Athletics and Green Bay Phoenix Men's Tennis on Facebook.