GREEN BAY, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay men's basketball team's 2011-12 season included impressive play on both ends of the floor from All-Horizon League standout Alec Brown (Winona, Minn.), great games from a couple of impact newcomers and some breakout efforts from the team's improved sharpshooter.
Before turning our full attention to 2012-13, GreenBayPhoenix.com looks back at the previous campaign with a number of top-10 lists. Today, GreenBayPhoenix.com ranks the top-10 individual performances of the campaign.
10. Cougill vs. UIC (12/1/11): In a breakout performance for the newest Phoenix big man, Brennan Cougill (Sioux City, Iowa) came off the bench to spark a 71-68 Phoenix win in its Horizon League opener. The junior scored 12 points, including a basket late to put Green Bay ahead to stay. With his team clinging to a one-point lead late, Cougill stole the ball from UIC's Darrin Williams after a missed Phoenix free throw and laid it in for a three-point lead and the final margin. Watch highlights
9. Brown vs. Milwaukee (2/4/12): On his own bobblehead day, Brown recorded a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds when Horizon League rival Milwaukee came to town. The points and rebounds were overshadowed by the 7-foot-1 Brown's two blocked shots, which broke the Green Bay's all-time blocked shots record and also tied his own single-season blocked shots record. Brown finished 2011-12 with 156 career blocks and 89 on the season.
8. Cerroni vs. CSU (2/21/12): The Horizon League's leader in three-point shooting was at his best against Cleveland State all season, including his performance that led the Phoenix past the Vikings on Senior Night. Coming off the bench in place of senior Eric Valentin (Oviedo, Fla.), sophomore Kam Cerroni (Sussex, Wis.) scored a team-high 17 points on 5-of-8 shooting from long range and two key free throws late. In two games against CSU, Cerroni made 10-of-16 three-pointers. Watch highlights
7. Sykes vs. Butler (1/28/12): In leading Green Bay to an 80-68 win over Butler on ESPNU, freshman Keifer Sykes (Chicago, Ill.) scored in three different jerseys during a game in which he left three times due to a collision. As he scored 16 points against Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year Ronald Nored, Sykes' "bloody good game" on a national stage brought a lot of attention. Watch Sykes score in all three jerseys.
6. Brown at Marquette (12/10/12): Against a Marquette team that finished the season in the top-10 nationally and featured BIG EAST Player of the Year Jae Crowder, Brown showed why he had NBA scouts watching many of Green Bay's games. He asserted himself in the paint on both ends of the floor and finished with 22 points, 14 rebounds and five blocked shots against the Golden Eagles.
5. Cerroni vs. Valpo (1/26/12): Hosting the Horizon League regular season champions, Green Bay used a lights out shooting performance from Cerroni to rout Valparaiso, 75-60. The sophomore notched a career-high 23 points by draining five three-pointers and making 8-of-9 from the free throw line. Cerroni scored 11 points during a decisive 15-5 run in the second half. Watch highlights
4. Cougill/Sykes vs. YSU (2/14/12): A duo teams for the fourth-best performance of the 2011-12 season, one that resulted in a 71-65 victory. Sykes and Cougill paired up on Valentine's Day to do something that had never been done in Green Bay's Division I era by recording double-doubles with points and assists and points and rebounds in the same game. Sykes had 17 points and 10 assists while not committing a turnover while Cougill tallied 17 points and 11 rebounds. The 10-assist effort from Sykes was the first by a Phoenix player in Horizon League play in over five years. Watch highlights
3. Cougill vs. Idaho (12/22/11): With Brown in foul trouble and limited to season lows in points and rebounds, Cougill ensured that Green Bay would head into its holiday break happy, posting a double-double with a staggering 19 points and 19 rebounds as the Phoenix defeated Idaho 63-61. The effort earned Cougill co-Horizon League Player of the Week honors, and his 19 rebounds tied the single-game record for rebounds at the Resch Center and were the third-most in school history. Watch highlights
2. Brown vs. Wright State (1/14/12): On Jan. 14, Brown failed to reach double figures in both points (9) and rebounds (8), but the sophomore still had one of the top performances of the season. Brown's dominance on the defensive end helped the Phoenix overcome a 17-point second half deficit as the 7-foot-1 big man broke his own single-game school record with 11 blocks. The effort also broke records for the Horizon League and the Resch Center. The 11 blocks were the most by any Division I player nationally in 2011-12. Watch a video highlighting Brown's shot-blocking prowess
1. Sykes at UIC (2/25/12): Sykes saved his best game of the year for his homecoming, scoring 27 points against UIC in the Windy City as Green Bay swept a Chicago road weekend for the first time. He scored 14 points in the final eight minutes and also tallied six assists on the afternoon. The game marked his 10th consecutive contest in double figures, capping an incredible regular season for the freshman and member of the Horizon League All-Newcomer Team. Watch highlights
- Greg Mays at UIC (2/25/12): Scored 13 points, including three dunks, and added eight rebounds in a return to his hometown.
- Sykes vs. Milwaukee (1/7/12; 2/4/12): Averaged 22.5 points per game against rival Milwaukee
- Aaron Armstead at Valpo (12/31/11): Scored a career-high 19 points on 5-of-6 shooting from long range
- Brown/Cougill vs. Butler (1/28/12): Combined for 40 points and 16 rebounds in win on Throwback Night
For the latest and most up-to-date information on Green Bay Athletics, please visit GreenBayPhoenix.com.Green Bay Phoenix men's basketball and Green Bay Phoenix Athletics on Facebook.