By: Andrew Gavin (@GBGavin)
GREEN BAY, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) – In 2012-13, the Green Bay men’s basketball showed signs of a high-flying style which included leading the Horizon League in blocked shots and tallying 50 dunks on the season. This year, the 2013-14 Phoenix has soared to a different level. Through 16 games, head coach Brian Wardle's team has already totaled 55 dunks, with six different players throwing it down at least five times.
Junior Greg Mays (Chicago, Ill.), who has 55 dunks in his Phoenix career, has a team-high 20 in 2013-14. Second on the team with 15 dunks is 5-foot-11 point guard Keifer Sykes (Chicago, Ill.). Seniors Alec Brown (Winona, Minn.) and Vince Garrett (Chicago, Ill.), sophomore Jordan Fouse (Racine, Wis.) and freshman Kenneth Lowe (Little Chute, Wis.) each have five dunks this season.
Green Bay also has 124 blocks in 2013-14, the third-most in program history behind only the 162 blocks in 34 games last season and the 142 rejections in 30 games in 2011-12. Led by Brown’s 3.4 rejections per game, Green Bay ranks second nationally at 7.8 blocks per contest.
With a 13-3 overall record and eight-straight wins, Green Bay continues its four-game road trip on Friday night at 6 p.m. at Wright State in a game televised live nationally by ESPNU.
- The official NCAA RPI released on Monday has Green Bay ranked 35th nationally.
- The Phoenix is ranked in two national mid-major polls, including No. 6 in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Poll and No. 8 in the Mid-Major Madness Top-15 Poll.
- At 13-3, Green Bay is off to its best start to a season since 1995-96.
- The team has won eight-straight games for the first time since a nine-game winning streak in 2003-04.
- Green Bay has scored 90 or more points in five games this season, the most 90-point games in the program’s Division I history.
- The team’s scoring average 78.9 points per game is the highest in Green Bay’s Division I history.
- The Phoenix is 11-0 in 2013-14 when scoring 70-plus points.
- Green Bay’s three losses this season are to teams with a combined record of 39-8 (Wisconsin, 16-0; Harvard, 14-2; Eastern Michigan, 9-6).
- Sykes is the only player nationally to average 20-plus points and five-plus assists while shooting 50-plus percent from the field.
- Including the last two, Sykes has tied a Horizon League record with five Player of the Week awards in one season.
- Sykes has won nine weekly awards in his career, the second-most in conference history.
- With 1,202 career points, Sykes has moved into 16th place on the program’s all-time scoring list.
- The junior has 10 games this season with 20 or more points, including a Division I program record six-straight earlier in the season.
- Brown is averaging 20.1 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.9 blocks during Green Bay’s eight-game winning streak while shooting 56.7 percent from the field.
- Brown has now accumulated 1,477 points, 733 rebounds and 270 blocked shots in his four-year Phoenix career.
- With 733 rebounds, Brown is 34 boards shy of breaking the Green Bay Division I record for career rebounds, held by Terry Evans.
- The 7-foot-1 Brown ranks fourth in the Horizon League in three-point percentage, making 22-of-50 threes for 44 percent.
- Brown now owns the top-four spots on the program’s single-season blocks chart. With 55 blocks this season, Brown ranks first in the conference and 12th nationally in blocks per game (3.4).
- With 270 career blocked shots, Brown is 40 rejections away from breaking the Horizon League record of 309 set last season by Youngstown State’s Damian Eargle.
- With an average of 7.8 blocks per game this season, Green Bay is second nationally and first in the Horizon League.
- With 124 blocks through 16 games, the Phoenix is on pace to break the Horizon League and Green Bay records for blocks in a season.
- Fouse has reached double figures in three of the past four games for the Phoenix.
- Last week, Fouse averaged 6.5 assists per game, including a career-high seven at Milwaukee.
- Fouse is the lone non-guard to rank in the top-10 in the Horizon League in assists per game (3.1).
- Fouse has grabbed five or more rebounds in 35-straight games dating back to his freshman season.
- After leading the Horizon League as a freshman, Fouse is again atop the conference charts in rebounds per game (8.4).
- Mays has reached double figures in three-straight games and is averaging 10.6 points per game (22nd in Horizon League).
- Mays ranks fifth in the conference in field goal percentage at 56.9 percent (70-123).
- Lowe scored a career-high eight points at Milwaukee.
All tickets for the 2013-14 men’s basketball season are on sale now. For more information about season tickets, ticket packages and more, please visit the ticketing page at GreenBayPhoenix.com.
For the latest and most up-to-date information on Green Bay Athletics, please visit GreenBayPhoenix.com
Follow us on Twitter: @GBPhoenix
Like Green Bay Phoenix Athletics