Phoenix Falls to Butler at Home Friday
GREEN BAY, Wis. (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay women's tennis team (1-10) battled tough with Horizon League rival Butler on Friday, but ended up dropping a 7-0 decision to the Bulldogs at the Green Bay Tennis Center.At No. 4 singles, Phoenix sophomore Maria Anderson (Marshfield, Wis.) opened with a 6-3 victory in the first set over Butler's Gabi Bobrowski. Bobrowski rebounded to earn a 6-4 win in set two before winning the third set tiebreaker.
Fellow sophomore Rebecca Nelson (Brookfield, Wis.) also won a set on Friday, picking up a 6-2 win in the second set of the No. 5 singles match after falling 6-3 to Gabrielle Rubenstein in the first. Rubenstein then took the tiebreaker 10-8 for the win.Senior Emily Lawent (Milwaukee, Wis.) also played well in the No. 1 singles match against Butler's Natali Jaimes, but the Bulldogs' senior prevailed with a 6-4, 6-5 win.
The Bulldogs began the day by taking all three doubles matches to secure the doubles point.Green Bay aims to bounce back on Sunday when it hosts Wright State at 10 a.m. at the Green Bay Tennis Center.
Butler 7, Green Bay 0
1. Natali Jaimes (BU) def. Emily Lawent (GB) 6-4, 6-5
2. Caroline Hedrick (BU) def. Jennifer Bradfield (GB) 6-1, 6-0
3. Stephanie McLoughlin (BU) def. Morgan Weuve (GB) 6-0, 6-1
4. Gabi Bobrowski (BU) def. Maria Anderson (GB) 3-6, 6-4, 10-5
5. Gabrielle Rubenstein (BU) def. Rebecca Nelson (GB) 6-3, 2-6, 10-8
6. Brittany Farmer (BU) def. Julia Kedrzycki (GB) 6-3, 6-0
1. McLoughlin/Rubenstein (BU) def. Lawent/Bradfield (GB) 8-5
2. Bobrowski/Farmer (BU) def. Weuve/Nelson (GB) 8-5
3. Jaimes/Hedrick (BU) def. Anderson/Kedrzycki (GB) 8-3